Wednesday 8 September 2010

my first flog

My love of sushi has developed over the past 6 months since arriving in Vancouver. Before hitting North America I hadn't even chewed on an over-priced California Roll from Yo-Sushi. Nope, until this trip I was a sushi virgin.

And there really is no better city to decide you love the stuff, Vancouver is literally bursting with sushi, there is a restaurant on every corner, they are more of a staple here than the corner shop. Of course not all of them give you the freshest most delicious food, and yes some of the decor leaves a bit to be desired but it's still cheap and accessible and everything is probably better than what you can get in say, my home town of York.

The other evening I was lucky enough to get treated to a delicious meal in the world famous sushi restaurant TOJO's. It lived up to it's reputation.










We started with deep fried tofu. So simple, yet so easy to get wrong. The dressing was so perfect we wanted to slurp it out of the bowl.










Next up, vegetable tempura. Fresh, seasonal vegetables taste so good, especially when they are covered in batter! There was a surprise slice of mango at the bottom of the pile, and they gave us tasty green salt to dip it in.













The vegetable roll we had to follow was bursting with ripe avocado (my fave) mushroom, cucumber and sprinkled with sesame seeds.










And because we wanted to try something a little different, our chef Alex made us something off menu- pineapple, avacado, yam tempura and asparagus in a roll coated with cucumber. It was SO so good, really fresh and tasty. As an attempt to make us regulars (I'm sorry but we don't own a small fortune... unfortunately) he gave us a shot of the most refreshing Lychee sake, I don't even like sake but this was like a sweet nectar slipping down my throat.










Thanks Alex! See you soon I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment